Divorce Modifications

We regret to inform you that Attorney Michael Sloan has died. Prior to his death, Michael asked that his Social Security cases be referred to Attorney Laura Gadness. Laura has been representing claimants before the Social Security Administration since 2006, and is honored by his trust in her.

Laura offers free Social Security and SSI consultations. No fee is paid unless/until a case is won. She realizes that it is often difficult for her clients to get to an attorney’s office, and she can handle most cases by phone and mail. If you would like to make a free appointment (phone or office – your choice) with Laura, please call her office at 214-473-8383 or toll free 844-752-6652 or email her at gadnesslaw@yahoo.com.

If you have a pending claim with Mr. Sloan as your representative, you will not have to start over. Laura can pick up your case at its current level. Usually this will not delay your claim. Nonetheless, it is important that you contact her immediately so that she can she begin work on your case as soon as possible.

You can read more about Laura by visiting her website

McKinney, Texas: Legal Help With Divorce Modifications

Your divorce, in general, will be final 60 days after the family court judge signs the decree. However, if you have children, that signature does not mean that your legal relationship with your former spouse has ended.

As children grow, their needs change. Financial circumstances can also change — parents may lose their jobs or get a raise, or they may begin a new relationship and have additional children.

In these situations, one or both parents may seek a modification of the divorce decree to change the child support, child custody or visitation arrangements. In Texas, modifications of the divorce decree are called "suits affecting parent-child relations," or SAPCR for short. Divorce decree modifications can be as easy or as hard as the original divorce proceedings were, depending on the extent to which the former spouses agree on the proposed modification.

At the Law Offices of Michael Sloan, we offer practical advice and efficient representation to parents who are either seeking or objecting to a proposed modification of their divorce decrees. Texas attorney Michael Sloan has more than 25 years' experience in our local family courts, and he personally handles every client's case.

Parental relocation may require a divorce decree modification

Under Texas law, a parent who has primary or joint child custody may not relocate out of state without first notifying the child's other parent, who may file an objection. The fact that Texas law places restrictions on an independent adult's ability to move to another state sometimes results in fierce conflicts.

Even if the parents agree, if the child will be moving far away with the parent who has primary custody, we recommend the noncustodial parent formally request a modification of the existing visitation arrangement. When they do not agree, the noncustodial parent may file a formal objection to the proposed relocation and ask a family court judge to rule whether the custodial parent may, in fact, move away. We can help you initiate either of these processes.

Questions about divorce decree modifications?

Contact Collin County lawyer Michael Sloan. We offer reasonable fee arrangements in all family law cases.

Handicapped accessible. Located directly east of Highway 75 near the historical district. Weekend appointments available.

Texas lawyer Michael Sloan represents clients in McKinney, Plano, Frisco, and throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, in communities such as Allen, Richardson, Prosper, Wylie, Murphy, Sachse, Sherman, Denison, Bonham, Anna, Van Alstyne, Greenville, and Celina, and in Dallas County, Grayson County, Hunt County, Fannin County, Collin County and Denton County.