Social Security Disability

We regret to inform you that Attorney Michael Sloan has died. Prior to his death, Michael asked that his Social Security cases be referred to Attorney Laura Gadness. Laura has been representing claimants before the Social Security Administration since 2006, and is honored by his trust in her.

Laura offers free Social Security and SSI consultations. No fee is paid unless/until a case is won. She realizes that it is often difficult for her clients to get to an attorney’s office, and she can handle most cases by phone and mail. If you would like to make a free appointment (phone or office – your choice) with Laura, please call her office at 214-473-8383 or toll free 844-752-6652 or email her at

If you have a pending claim with Mr. Sloan as your representative, you will not have to start over. Laura can pick up your case at its current level. Usually this will not delay your claim. Nonetheless, it is important that you contact her immediately so that she can she begin work on your case as soon as possible.

You can read more about Laura by visiting her website

McKinney, Texas, Social Security Disability Income Lawyer

You are entitled to Social Security Disability Income (SSDI or SSD) if a disease or injury prevents you from engaging in substantial gainful activity. In 2008, substantial gainful activity means any job that pays at least $940 in gross income per month. At the Law Offices of Michael Sloan in McKinney, Texas, we offer a free initial consultation to explain how Social Security Disability works.

Who is eligible for SSDI?

Social Security Disability Income is an insurance program that you and your employer help fund through Social Security taxes. To be eligible, you must have worked long enough at a job where you paid into the system. If you are disabled but have not worked long enough to be covered by Social Security, you can apply for Supplemental Security Income if you can't work due to a disability.

How much does SSDI pay?

Disability benefits are paid based on an individual's earnings record. You can obtain an estimate of what you may be paid by reviewing the second page of your social security benefits statement. The amount of your disability benefit from Social Security is printed on page two of your annual Social Security Earnings Statement. The Social Security Administration mails these statements to eligible workers age 25 and older each year.

How do I apply for SSDI?

You begin by contacting us to assist you with filing an online application with the Social Security Administration. You can also begin by filing an application at your local Social Security Administration office and signing releases so that your medical records may be obtained. If your application is approved, you will start receiving benefits. In most cases, however, applying for Social Security Disability benefits is a time-consuming and frustrating process that can take two years or longer.

Most people who apply are initially turned down for disability benefits. Many people give up.

Why are SSDI claims denied?

Many claims are denied because the person applying for benefits doesn't understand what information the Social Security Administration is looking for. The SSDI filing process is complex and the Social Security Administration provides little assistance to applicants. With a lawyer's help, your chances of obtaining disability benefits are much higher.

Questions about Social Security Disability Income?

Contact Collin County attorney Michael Sloan for a free initial consultation. Our law office in McKinney, Texas, is handicapped-accessible.

Learn More

Handicapped accessible. Located directly east of Highway 75 near the historical district. Weekend appointments available.

Texas lawyer Michael Sloan represents clients in McKinney, Plano, Frisco, and throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, in communities such as Allen, Richardson, Prosper, Wylie, Murphy, Sachse, Sherman, Denison, Bonham, Anna, Van Alstyne, Greenville, and Celina, and in Dallas County, Grayson County, Hunt County, Fannin County, Collin County and Denton County.